This retractable shade is for a tandem-seating type airplane.
Install the Sunshade as follows:
1. Find the centerline of the canopy. Starting at the canopy front bow, place a strip of electrical tape from front to back, on the outside of the canopy (the tape won't hurt your canopy). Check that it lines up exactly with the aircraft center line.
2. Fit the sunshade channel to the outside of the canopy (on top of the electrical tape) so that it follows the contour of the canopy exactly. No gaps or light areas should be visible between the channel and electrical tape.
3. Install the channel. With the electrical tape on the canopy as a guide, clean the inside of the canopy where the channel will be placed. Take off the protective cover of the double stick tape sections, and attach the channel to the underside of the canopy by pressing the channel to the canopy from front to rear. Press hard. After attachment, look at it from above and check for bubbles in the tape; if you see any press on it again to remove the bubbles.
4. Fit the bows. Because of the curved area of the canopy top, it is important that each bow is fit to the shape of the canopy in the general area of their final placement when the shade is extended. The bows are numbered from front (#1) to back, and should be placed in the channel and bent individually so that they have just a very small amount of pressure against the canopy. Leave each bow in place until all are fit. With 16 bows, too much pressure against the canopy will cause the channel to release from the canopy, so the fit is important. After fitting the bows to the canopy, remove them from the channel.
5. Place the material on all bows. Place the material with the loops up. The wide end goes forward on RV-8s, next to the canopy frame; the long tapered end goes to the rear (RV-4s are tapered on both ends). After both sides are mounted on the bows, APPLY A DROP OF SUPER GLUE AT THE INNER ENDS OF EACH BOW to keep the fabric from sliding.
6. Install the bows. Feed the plastic glides/bows into the channel from the rear.
7. Adjust the set screws in the front, middle and the rear. Extend the sunshade and set the front screw close to the canopy frame in front; then extend the shade and set the middle and back screws.
After installation, the middle bow remains locked. To retract the shade, the front section is pushed back and the rear section is pushed forward. You may change the stored position of your shade by loosening the center set screw and changing the center bow location.
THE BUYER/INSTALLER OF THE “KOGER SUNSHADE” ACCEPTS FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR ITS USE. THE MANUFACTURER HAS NO CONTROL OVER HOW THE PRODUCT WILL BE USED, AND ASSUMES NO LIABILITY FOR ITS USE.
Thank you for buying the “KOGER SUNSHADE”. May you have many more flights in your favorite aircraft.
Phone: (515) 230-2700